Cannot find my macros when the Add-in is stored on a network drive. Why not?

subiK

Hello,

First I must say: I am somewhat new to creating macros and new to creating Excel Add-Ins.

Question: I wish to deploy my Excel Add-Ins to certain other corporate users by placing the .xlam file on the network, and giving all users the directions on how to customize their own Excel ribbons to create 2 custom buttons within the ribbon's View tab to run my two (2) macros found in the add-in file against any spreadsheet they wish. However, my first user (my neighbor in the office next door) cannot see my macros when he's in the Customize Ribbon window of Excel, in the dropdown for Choose Commands From..., after having selected Macros.

Why can't he see them? We all have access to the network file location. And he does indeed have my Addins file checked (File > Options > Add-Ins > Manage: Excel Add-ins > Go).

One thing I just now noticed is that I do not find the macros in the Customize Ribbon window if I open up a blank spreadsheet (a .xlsx file). However, when I open up the .xlsm (macro-enabled spreadsheet) in which I created/run the macros, I DO find the macros in the Customize Ribbon window. So there's a huge gap in my knowledge here. What am I not understanding? Do I have to also distribute a shell/template .xlsm file to users to start with? But how do I ensure that this .xlsm template uses the macros/add-ins found on the network (so that if I ever push out upgrades to the add-ins, they'll get the upgrades without doing a thing)?

We are both running Excel 2013 (to be precise: Office Professional Plus 2013). I followed the directions/wisdom found here in this old article from 2006: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?152-Deploying-Add-ins-in-a-Network-Environment). My code does not use ThisWorkbook, but instead, it uses ActiveWorkbook.

Before I ever put the .xlam file on the network, I had successfully customized my Excel ribbon to add 2 custom buttons to run my macros, but that's when my .xlam file resided locally at: C:\users\[my user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns (instead of being on the network drive).

Thank you very much if you can offer any help!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back