Cannot find option to "disable hardware acceleration"

dejhantulip

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey everyone,

I recently fresh installed my OS and Excel. I have not been able to find the option that used to be in Options->Advanced->Display to turn off Hardware Acceleration. Anyone knows where I can find it or disable hardware acceleration for Excel or Office only (maybe in the registry?

Here are my new Excel Options under Display:

FWIW I'm on version 2108 Build 14326.20004

Edit: just updated to 2109 Build 14329.20000 and the option is still missing.
Very strange as I'm on the same build (64 Bit) and do still have the option

1628251413011.png

1628251369025.png

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Mine's the same as yours. I'm on a laptop which doesn't have a discrete graphics card - maybe that's it?

Upvote 0
No, not that... same setup. Have you installed the Windows update below as I haven't?

1628256098683.png

Upvote 0
No, because I was on 20H2. I'm just running updates now, so will see what happens. I'd find it weird if that affected an Excel dialog, but I suppose it wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've ever seen with Excel!

Upvote 0
Nope, wasn’t that. Do you have all the new functions like MAP?

Upvote 0
Conflicting info on the internet as to where in the registry to find/make the setting

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Graphics
Or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common\graphics

also conflicting info on the setting for DisableHardwareAcceleration I would think 1 for Disabled but conflicting info says zero.

Upvote 0
Just noting in case anyone else finds this old thread: Like OP, I have a Lenovo laptop with decent specs including a quadro graphics card and am having the same issue. I'm on the latest version of windows 10 (not 11) and the semi-annual channel of Excel. My colleague has basically the same setup, but he does not have the problem.

It seems to sometimes cause blue screens of death. This only happens for me when working with Excel and something glitches in a way that previously seemed to be addressed by disabling hardware graphics acceleration.

Upvote 0
Hey Levi B,

So sorry to hear you have my same issue... to be honest it is truly dissapointing that this is happening... and still happening!!!

My solution was, believe it or not, to leave all preview channels, beta channels, and anything related to those "early" feature access alternatives... I am using Excel 365

Best of luck,

DT

Upvote 0
Thanks DT.

Unfortunately I have already done all that around six months ago due to other issues (which at the time was a shame because I then missed out on new features that I wanted - like LAMBDA functions).

Come to think of it, this issue appeared for me around the time that the new features came available me again on the semi-annual channel. I hope it doesn't arise for others as they accept updates around now.

In any case thanks for the reply and I hope it continues working properly for you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back