Cannot locate personal macro workbook!

oregontransplant

Hello! I need help. I'm reletively new to Excel and trying to get a handle on Macros. After relentless internet searches, I still cannot find clear instructions on how to solve my issue.

Goal: to have a Macro that I can use in any workbook.

Problem 1: currently, I am not able to record macros because I get the "personal macro workbook must be open" error. I have troubleshooted to see if it is disabled, and it is NOT. It does not appear to be hidden either. I don't understand where it is.

Problem 2: once it is found, I am still struggling to understand how to make a macro available to all workbooks. There are plenty of threads out there about this, but it would seriously save my life if someone would write down a step by step.

I'm using Excel 2013. I will be incredibly grateful for some help!

Thanks in advance. :confused:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
check that your personal workbook is available. try this.

go to File, Options, Add-Ins

On the bottom of the right panel you will see a box
Manage 'Excel Addins' Go...
Click on the drop down box and select "Disabled Items"
Click on Go
You should then see a list of disabled workbbooks and your Personal workbook should be there.
Simply seletct it and the click on the ENABLE button

once you do that, just make sure that any macros you write are copied to your personal workbook. From the VBA project editor click on personal.xlsb and then from the insert menu, insert a module. You can copy macros directly to any module you put in here. they will automatically run from any other spreadsheet you open. be sure to save the personal.xlsb file once you have copied over your macro.

Upvote 0
Hi tybaltlives, thanks very much for your help. My workbook does not appear in the disabled menu. Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
check that your personal workbook is available. try this.

go to File, Options, Add-Ins

On the bottom of the right panel you will see a box
Manage 'Excel Addins' Go...
Click on the drop down box and select "Disabled Items"
Click on Go
You should then see a list of disabled workbbooks and your Personal workbook should be there.
Simply seletct it and the click on the ENABLE button

once you do that, just make sure that any macros you write are copied to your personal workbook. From the VBA project editor click on personal.xlsb and then from the insert menu, insert a module. You can copy macros directly to any module you put in here. they will automatically run from any other spreadsheet you open. be sure to save the personal.xlsb file once you have copied over your macro.

So I had my Personal Macro Workbook opened while working this morning and my computer crashed and relocated my PMW file from the directory below. It took me a few hours to recover the workbook.

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

I did what tybaltlives mentioned and found that my PMW file had been disabled. I enabled it but it didn't put the file back in the directory where it was before. I decided to go to the Start menu and searched for anything that had "PERSONAL" (because my PMW file is named Personal) on my computer. After the search result concluded, I was able to find my relocated PMW file. It had been autosaved to another folder in the directory below.

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\PERSONAL306586280901503559

I'm not sure what all the numbers mean but my PMW was in the folder and all my macros were there. Not sure if this applies to all cases but hopefully it helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back