Cannot paste into Excel 365

MartinGM

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
There is an old thread about this, but the Forum itself suggested I start a new one, so here goes.
Here's the old thread: Paste button grayed out
Also, I have been pursuing the issue in the Microsoft Office Forums - lots of ideas but absolutely no solution - so I hope its OK to try here ?
The issue involves copying from one workbook and pasting into another, and here are the circumstances and symptoms . . .
  • It is a new install of Office 365 on a new Windows 11 PC. There are no other issues with Office that I am aware of, execpt for an abstruse bug in Outlook concerning the indexing of contacts. I can't see that that's related to the present issue.
  • There is no protection on the target workbook
  • I can successfully COPY items - I see them on the Clipboard.
  • I can paste TEXT into a cell, but I cannot paste a whole cell or range of cells, even though I can see the item on the Clipbaord dialog in the target workbook.
  • This only seems to happen when the target workbook is an .xlsm file - or the same thing saved as .xlsb
  • There are 4 ways to paste, as far as I know . . .
    • CTRL V - this simply does nothing
    • The Paste button on the ribbon - this is greyed out
    • In a Macro - this returns an error "1004"
    • Clicking the item in the Clipboard - this one works
Now for a bizarre "feature" . . . once an item has been pasted by clicking it in the Clipboard, pasting works using the other 3 methods ! But for that item only !!! When I come to paste a new item, only the Clipboard method works.
The workaround (using the Clipboard dialog) is too limited for me as I need to do some pasting using VBA.
Other helpers have opened my file and have reported that they can paste into it just fine, but also they don't have the same configuration as I do. The files came from Office 2010 on Wondows 7 where they continue to work OK.
I was going to give up looking for a fix, suspecting corruption or something like it, when I found the other thread in this forum reporting the exact same issue with Office 365 - but without a solution.
I suspect it is something to do with Office 365, maybe connected with Windows 11. I have gone through every setting I can find (a lot !) to no avail.
I'd be grateful for any help or ideas.
Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I should have written "COPY" no "CUT" ( not that it makes any difference :) )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back