Cannot process mathematically cells

Excel Semplicemente

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys,

Everything started when I downloaded a .CSV file containing a lot of data from web.
In the second step I divided the rows of the file considering the character "," as a delimiter

Apparently I obtained some columns in which each cell is a number.

Unfortunately, when I try to do some mathematical operation using these numbers Excel give me ERROR.

I think that the data into the cells is considered by Excel as text.

Someone knows how to change it in order to manipulate the cell values as numbers?

Thank you in advance

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Any arithmetic operation on numbers looking like text will coerce them automatically as real numbers, so there is something else at stake.
An extra space? some other hidden character ? Try the LEN function on a couple of cell to see if the number returned is the same as the number of digits

Upvote 0
Someone knows how to change it in order to manipulate the cell values as numbers?
It depends on the operation that you are attempting. Expanding on @arthurbr's reply above, mathematical operators will work with a valid number that is in text format. If you are using functions that only accept numeric values then errors are likely.

One way to convert text numbers to proper numbers is to format the cells as required. Type 0 into an empty cell, then copy that cell and pastespecial > add to the cells that you want to convert, although I should add that this will still only work if the text numbers are valid as proper numbers (in that they don't contain extra characters as also mentioned by @arthurbr).

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back