Cannot select cells around textbox with oversized font in it

rkaczano

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a text box with oversized text in it. Its a large symbol at say 1000 point font. I am using the oversized font in the text box to cover up another shape on my spreadsheet. This is purely for aesthetics. I have clicked of the option that says "Allow Text to Overflow the Shape" and thus the text box itself is smaller than the font. So the font takes up a lot of the visual retail estate in the text box which is what I want.

What I am noticing is that even though the text box itself is small, Excel can sense that within that text box there is something very large. And this is preventing me from being able to click on the cells that reside around the text box. Instead of my cursor turning into the white cross which signals that I can click onto a cell, the cursor continues to display the black bi-directional cross that displays when you are trying to move an object (i.e. the oversized font in my text box). I would have thought that clicking off the "Allow Text to Overflow the Shape" would accommodate this on its own.

Is there a setting I can tweak to prevent this from happening? I don't want Excel to limit my ability to click on nearby cells.

Note the obvious answer here is to reduce the size of the font in the text box or simply to use a shape but I don't want to do that.

Thanks

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Note as well that I have tried using a shape with the oversized text in it (versus a text box with the oversized text in it) and I have the same problem.

Thanks

Upvote 0
No takers on this - there must be a way not limit my ability to interact with cells surrounding text boxes with oversized text.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back