Cannot use Divide sign in Excel - Major Problem

Launcher

I am very familiar with Excel, however I have recently encountered a problem first on my laptop using XP, so upgraded to 2003, problem still occurs. this is also happening on my PC. If I press the divide key nothing happens, sometimes when I press other keys nothing happens. Sometimes if I press the tab key it moves through the menus. The equal sign will sometimes appear in a cell but not others. This is not the hardware. I have obviously pressed something on both keyboards for this to be happening - but what? I have tried pressing Alt etc no change. Any help really, really appreciated. I need to use Excel for training purposed in 8 hours time and this is driving me mad. Thank you

Launcher

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Go to Tools ... Options ... and select the Transitions tab. Make sure that Transition navigation keys is NOT checked.

Upvote 0
Have you checked under Tools|Options, the "Transition" tab? I'm wondering if something's checked there that shouldn't be. I checked my options and none of the boxes are checked.

Upvote 0
Thnaks for that. I have checked on both PC and Laptop none of the boxes are ticked in the Tools - Options - Transitions. I really have no idea what to look for next - PLEASE HELP!

Launcher

Upvote 0
I have just had another look at the Tools - Options - Transitions. None of the boxes were checked - definately. I have changed the menu key to an X and sure enough I couldn't type an X in. I have now removed it from the white text box and clicked OK and now it's working fine. Also on the PC exactly the same. Funny that this has happened with two versions of Excel on two machines - maybe a clitch in the system. Thanks for your help - it made me look at this bit again.

Thankfully

Launcher

Upvote 0
Sounds like the first character in the string you were entering in a cell was "/". If that is the case, you'd need to preceed it with an apostrophe ('). The backslash is the default way to access Excel's menu with the keyboard. I would put that back in the Transition tab of Tools|Options (so you can access the menus via keyboard) and just make sure you precede the backslash with an apostrophe.

So enter '/Barrie and not /Barrie.

Regards,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back