Can't change chart page orientation

Mark03049

No matter what I do in Excel, I cannot change the page orientation of charts in a certain workbook through Page Layout>Orientation>Landscape or Portrait.

I have another workbook where none of this is an issue.

Neither spreadsheet is locked. I own both of them. Stored locally or on network storage the behavior is the same. Both are .xlsm.

I've tried all of this on two different printer models with the same results.

While I have a work around, I cannot figure out what is different between the two workbooks.

The workaround is to set orientation through printer properties, but I don't remember experiencing this feature in decades of creating charts and printing them.

In the problematic workbook, with cells selected, I can set the page layout either way and they print properly, but for charts, after I click on Page Layout>Orientation>Landscape or Portrait and change it, when I check it the setting has not changed.

It looks like the page orientation is somehow tied to the setting on the printer when the chart is created. If a chart is selected when I change the printer properties, that chart’s page orientation in changed in excel, as in reflected in Page Layout > Orientation on the ribbon.

Even on the File>Print interface, and I can see the Orientation revert after I click landscape. It is only changeable by going to Printer Properties from there.

Is this a bug or a feature? ;^)

Is there a setting somewhere that I am unaware of that makes chart page Orientation fixed or tied to printer properties?

- Mark

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
XLSM. Is there a macro/event that is keeping the orientation?
Have you tried the XPS printer?

Upvote 0
Basic troubleshooting would be for you to close your applications, reboot your system, open Excel, then create a new workbook. Enter data into at least 1 cell. Set it to landscape and see if it takes.

If that doesn't work, there may be problems with your standard template file, or Excel may be corrupted and need reloaded.

Upvote 0
Thank you Amanda Wilso... I was out yesterday and unable to test, but just rebooting resolved the issue. The think that threw me was that I had inconsistent behavior between workbooks. I guess it's no surprised how bolluxed up MS products can get these days with their extensive dis integration!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back