Can't change format in Data Model because of some Iferror -> "" values

MrPokemans

Hi,

I'm working with a large data set. One column calculates the age of the customer at the moment of payment. The formula contains the IFERROR(...........,"") because of a number of birth dates and payment days missing. This formula has to stay in place because of frequent refreshing of the data.

Because of the empty valued cells with "" (so not really empty), the data model considers them as text. I'm not allowed to change the format in the data model to anything other than text.

As a result, the Power Pivot Table can only 'count' the values instead of summing up etc. But that's the problem, I need to make calculations and have them sorted from 0 to 20 (instead of 0-1-10-11-12 etc.). How can I turn this format to numbers?

I can't share the file but I can replicate something if it would help.

Thanks!

Joris

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Thanks! But no. With IFERROR(.....,0) all my customers with errors will be age 0. And because there are also 'real' baby clients (health care), these would get lost in the filters.

With IFERROR(.....,"") the data model considers the 'empty' cells as text and according to the data model, the whole column is text.

I think the best solution would be IFERROR(.......,9999) in this case, and then filter out all the 9999-year olds. Though it's not the cleanest solution.

Thanks for thinking along anyway!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back