can't connect to Oracle from Power Query

Yahya

Dear friends

in Power Query when i try to connect to oracle database i get this msg
DataSource.Error: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

and i found some idea on google like change security level of oracle folder, and i follow all this
but the problem still as it

any suggestion for this case

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I dont know much about oracle, but to ask the obvious question... Do you have Oracle client software 8.1.7+ installed?

Upvote 0
scotten
as i know the
Oracle client software 8.1.7+
it is not tools
it is Oracle software, and i think it is in oracle 10G

Upvote 0
Hey yahya

Are you able to connect to the oracle database using just Excel or perhaps Power Pivot? If you can't then you might need to check with your DBA to use the correct Oracle InstaClient or other type of connector as it seems that the driver is not installed on your computer.

Upvote 0
Hey yahya

Are you able to connect to the oracle database using just Excel or perhaps Power Pivot? If you can't then you might need to check with your DBA to use the correct Oracle InstaClient or other type of connector as it seems that the driver is not installed on your computer.

thanks miguel
also i can't connect from PowerPivot
but when i try to connect from Data Tab --> from other source --> microsft data access OLE DB Provide for oracle

it connect
but with BI tools i can't

Upvote 0
Using the Microsoft data access OLE DB Provider for Oracle is not a recommended scenario imho (from past experience). Power Query and Power Pivot both need to use the oracle client

Taking MSFT's requirements for doing a connection with Oracle using Power Query from here:
https://support.office.com/en-nz/ar...-4eb7-83b3-a66bfb678395?ui=en-US&rs=en-NZ&ad=NZ

"Before you can connect to an Oracle database using Power Query, you need the Oracle client software v8.1.7 or greater on your computer. To install the Oracle client software, go to Instant Client Downloads and download (at minimum) Basic Instant Client for Microsoft Windows."

I'd recommend you share this with your DBA so he can make the necessary adjustments and help you out with using the correct Oracle Instant Client as you might need to declare some system variables like tnsnames and such.

Upvote 0
Using the Microsoft data access OLE DB Provider for Oracle is not a recommended scenario imho (from past experience). Power Query and Power Pivot both need to use the oracle client

Taking MSFT's requirements for doing a connection with Oracle using Power Query from here:
https://support.office.com/en-nz/ar...-4eb7-83b3-a66bfb678395?ui=en-US&rs=en-NZ&ad=NZ

"Before you can connect to an Oracle database using Power Query, you need the Oracle client software v8.1.7 or greater on your computer. To install the Oracle client software, go to Instant Client Downloads and download (at minimum) Basic Instant Client for Microsoft Windows."

I'd recommend you share this with your DBA so he can make the necessary adjustments and help you out with using the correct Oracle Instant Client as you might need to declare some system variables like tnsnames and such.
Miguel thank you my friend for your efforts to solve this issue.
i read all this link before and i downloaded client tools, but it is not solved the problem
i think the Problem From Oracle not from Excel, may be security level in Company, or May May Be Oracle Version 10G
======
i try to Connect From Power Query in Excel 2010
and Power Query in Excel 2013
i get the same msg

Upvote 0
Hey Yahya,

99% of the time it relies on some security or connectivity at your source level (the database or the server). These type of questions can only have answers from your DataBase Administrator or DBA.

i've connectod to all the versions from Oracle 10 to 12 with the Instant client with no issues but, as I said before, the instant client installation sometimes requires more than just an installation and requires some variable information in your system.

Microsoft competitors often give a much more clear explaniation of what's needed to actually connect to an Oracle Database. The next article should help you:
Setting an Oracle Connection to Use TNSNames.ora | Tableau Software

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back