Can't Delete Text Box

Klasdude

I have a basic spread sheet where I track my manpower. There are no formulas in the spread sheet. All I have is names divided up into separate columns and rows for each supervisor. Somehow, a text box got added to my spread sheet ("Text Box 2"). I click on the border of the text box, hit the "delete" button, but the text box doesn't delete. I have also right clicked on it and selected "cut" but the text box still remains. At first, I thought it was multiple text boxes laying on top of each other but then realized that every time I click on it, it has the same name (Text Box 2). I know nothing about VB but am pretty skilled at basic and intermediate Excel but can't figure out why this text box won't delete. It's not a big deal but now, it's a matter of pride. :) I'm not letting that text box beat me. lol
Any ideas???

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I think that when you click on the text Box and choose "Cut" your mouse is inside the box! If so it's going to delete chosen content. Place your mouse on the border of the text box, right click and the see if you can "Cut".

Upvote 0
I think that when you click on the text Box and choose "Cut" your mouse is inside the box! If so it's going to delete chosen content. Place your mouse on the border of the text box, right click and the see if you can "Cut".

No, I am clicking on the outside boarder and the text box itself is highlighted. I've done it MANY times this way and understand what you are saying but I can assure you, I have the box highlighted, not the text inside.

Upvote 0
you need to enter design mode first. this is in the developer part of the ribbon. click design mode then delete.

Upvote 0
To add more to this, I can enlarge the text box, click elsewhere on the spread sheet and when I go back to the text box, it is the same enlarged size. However, after I go through the motions of deleting the larger/extended text box, "Text Box 2" returns to it's original smaller size in it's original position. Even if I move it to another position on the spread sheet, the original remains there, BOTH with the same name. I can delete the one that I have moved and it no longer appears, however, there is still "Text Box 2 in it's original position. It is almost as if there are multiple text boxes right on top of each other, however, I have "deleted" it at least 100 times and it still has the same name, "Text Box 2".

Upvote 0
if after entering design mode and clicking delete and the textbox disappears, it then still reappears, you must have some VB code adding it in. Check your VBE for workbook/worksheet events.

Upvote 0
you need to enter design mode first. this is in the developer part of the ribbon. click design mode then delete.

I am on a work computer and it looks like our company has the "developer" option disabled. It is grayed out and I cannot add it. Clicking on the "Developer" tab, it is there but, again, it is grayed out. Probably good advice but looks like our administrator doesn't allow us do that. Thank you though Barry.

Upvote 0
At this point you may want to consider copying and pasting your data into a new workbook and deletng this one.

Or, hire an exorcist. :devilish:

CJ<strike></strike>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back