can't do wholesale data validation edits

jan001

Board Regular
I have a timesheet built for a particular employee. It includes a dropdown column of projects for him to select from, using a column of list boxes. Management has just sent me a list of projects to be added to the list.

It seems like I should be able to edit the list once, by highlighting each tab and the making the changes "wholesale", but it won't let me. It will let me open the reference list and edit it, but then when I try to adjust the data validation properties to reflect the longer list, "Data Validation" is grayed out. The only way I can do it is one sheet at a time.

FWIW, I'm using Excel '10 but have the document saved as Excel 97-03 at management's request.

Any help will be much appreciated, as always!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Right, Validation can't be edited in grouped sheets.

As for the list itself, it's probably easiest if you use a named range instead of actual cell references. That way you don't have to worry about size. And instead of editing all validation cells, if they're all the same, just fix one, then copy that cell and paste it wherever else you need it. The validation will go with the copy.

HTH,

Upvote 0
If all the sheets that are using the list are referring to the same Data, makes more sense to have just one list, in a named range, then all the sheets can refer to it. Then it will only ever be the one list that you update

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back