cant edit comments

slm7678

Board Regular
hello everyone, i hope you all can help.
i have a workbook with several worksheets in it and i can edit the comments on every sheet except one. there are a lot of people using this workbook so i am not sure what was changed but up until yesterday i could edit all of the comments. any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Hi

Is your sheet protected?

You can verify by going to tools > Protection

If the sheet is protected, you will have to unprotect it to edit comments.

I hope this helps
This message was edited by gcue on 2002-09-27 07:20

Upvote 0
no. there is no protection on the sheet. i realized this morning that some comments (very few) can be edited but the majority cant.

Upvote 0
Cannot Edit comments

Hello,

I'm also having this problem.

There are a few cells that have comments that I cannot normally edit. The only way I CAN edit them is to show all comments, and find the ones I want to change... then turn the comments off again.

But there are a lot of comments on this sheet and it's pretty cluttered.. sometimes tough to dig thru them all to make a change... and these comment get changed quite a bit.

I see this question wasn't answered waaaay back in 2002.. Anyone out there have a solutio now? I'm running Excel 2000, btw.

Thx!

Upvote 0
I have same problem of unable to edit old comments, affecting all my .xls & .xlsx files regardless of how many worksheet in the file. I noticed it only affects comments created in the original Excel 2003 (.xls) files before saving it as Excel 2010 (.xlsx). I still cannot edit the old comments after saving the file back as (.xls).

I suspect this happens after my system automatically installs an update somewhere in early January 2011. I cannot control the updates as everything on my PC are under IT administrators' control (remotely).

Upvote 0
I also have the problem. Using Excel 2003 and a file that's been working fine for 6 months. Now I can edit some comments but others on the same worksheet and adjacent to the ones that I can edit do not work. I right-click the cell and pick Edit Comment and nothing happens.

Hasn't anyone figured this out yet?

Upvote 0
I suspect this was caused by one of the microsoft update where they disable comment editing in Excel 2007 or later if the comment is created by older excel versions (ie. 2003). Copying old comment will carry the old attributes, so the pasted comment is also un-editable. My tedious solution is to replace the old comments with new ones if I may still need to edit them in future.

Upvote 0
All comments were created and edited in Excel 2003. For now I am deleting and replacing comments as necessary.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back