Can't figure out what my formula needs to be.

WitchRolina

So I've been tackling a problem for a few hours, and I just can't figure out how to approach it. I know what I want to do, but not how to do it.

I'm making an automated character sheet, and for the most part it's simple. The user selects various values from dropdowns on the first tab, and that determines values behind the scenes in the second tab. Stats are ranked effectively from 0-16, and their values adjust accordingly. All simple math.

The trouble comes with the option to change the growth rate. When selecting their ranks, they are required to average out to 8 overall. Faster/Slower growths rates adjust the final values based on the ranks they provided. Here's what I want to do...

I want to adjust things up or down on a curve. Values 0 and 16 don't change at all, as those are the min and max values respectively. The closer to the central 8 value, the stronger the effect of the modified value is. The total amount of change applied should match the value given by the growth rate modifier (if values average at 50%, then if rate value is 3, the new overall average would need to be 53%).

B5U9NiX.png

Here's the part of the worksheet I'm working on. I've tried a few different things, such as using a countif to check for multiple instances of the same value, modifiers based on a bell curve, etc. I can get the final value close to the XP Mod Target, but if I change any values it throws everything off anyways. At this point I'm taking shots in the dark and really have no idea what I'm doing, just what I want.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back