Can't figure this Gantt-like chart out..

tristar

I'm wanting to make a chart that is similar to a gantt chart but is different in that several bars will have to appear in the same row with varing gaps between them.

Let's say I have 3 factory lines for making various colors of paint and I want to know what color will be running on which line for any day of a particular quarter. I envision a chart for each 3 month period with a column for each day of the quarter across the top. Down the side of the sheet would be row headings for each paint line (Line 1, Line2 & Line 3). I would then shade the cells covering a specific date range causing a "bar" to be drawn and somewhere in that bar would be the name of the paint color. So, for Line 1, I might expect to see a bar from Jan 1 to Jan 15 that says "yellow" and then Line 1 would have a gap until Jan 22 and from Jan 23 to Feb 1 would be shaded and be labled "blue." It would work this way for each line. Also, sometimes I'd like to mark one day in each range as critcal with some sort of symbol. Ideally these graphic bars would be driven by data located on another tab of the spreadsheet.

I don't think this is possible, but I haven't given up yet..

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
This sounds possible, if you're willing to use a little VBA.

Can you post a sample of the data layout you'll be using?

Upvote 0
The data would look something like this and each Line (or person in this example) would have a single row on the chart which spans across the columns that make up the applicable date range. The critical date, if there is one, could be something like an asterisk in the cell The notes could either go between rows, or on the applicable bar itself.

Code:
Line Begin Date	End Date	Critical Date	 Notes
Sam	 1/3/2005	1/7/2005	1/4/2005	     Yellow Run
Bob	 1/3/2005	1/14/2005	1/3/2005	     Needs 5 days for cleanup
Sue    1/5/2005	1/7/2005		             Limited metallic
Sam	 1/10/2005	1/28/2005	1/15/2005	     Red
Sam	 2/7/2005	2/18/2005		            Line Repairs

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back