Can't get this to work for adding 1 to number and seeing the month

Fredep57

So, I need a file that has 12 months for my tracking of medications given. I have a workbook that I have started and have sheets named for the various months along with a "Master" sheet . I want to have the Master sheet "drive" the rest and have each of them have a different month in a cell. In that cell would also be the year (this year but more about that some other time).

In the Master sheet I have the numbers 1 through 12 in column A (A1 through A12).

In the January sheet I have the formula in the image attached. Well, the formula is actually "=TEXT(Master!A1,"mmmm")". However when I put in formula shown in the February sheet it still shows January. This happens to every sheet added if I change the A2 to A3...A12. What am I doing wrong????

As an aside, I would actually like to have the formula "=TEXT(Master!A1+1, "mmmm")" in the next sheet and keep adding down the line. Make sense?? Hopefully.

Thanks
Fred

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230104_120404.png
    Screenshot_20230104_120404.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
In Excel dates are just numbers with a special format, where 1 is the 1st Jan 1900 & 12 is 12th Jan 1900 which is why it does not work.
Put an actual date in A1 namely 1/1/2023 & then for the Jan sheet use
Excel Formula:
=TEXT(Master!A1,"mmmm")
for Feb use
Excel Formula:
=TEXT(edate(Master!A1,1),"mmmm")
& for Mar change the 1 to a 2 etc

Upvote 0
It is important to understand how Excel stores dates. It stores them as numbers, specifically the number of days since 1/0/1900 (enter any date in any cell, and change the cell format to "General" and you will see the date as Excel does).

So the number 1 really translates to January 1, 1900
number 2 translates to January 2, 1900
etc

If you are trying to build a date from numbers, you could do something a formula this:
Excel Formula:
=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),A1,1)
which would return the current year and the month number from cell 1.

You could then format that valid date any way you like, using a Custom Format, or you could apply the Text function to it.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. However, I stumbled across a thread that fixed my issue.

I now use the "master" sheet and put in the date of 01/01/2023 (or some start date). If I put that in lets say cell A1 on the Master sheet. Then in the next sheet I first formatted the cell I want the Month and Year to "mmmm yyyy". Then in that cell I used the formula =EDATE(Master!A1*29,1) and that gave me "February 2023" in that cell. So by copying this formula into the next sheets and changing the last value to 1 less than the month number I want this worked.

I am still concerned that I had to multiply the original number by 29 but do understand that Excel does numbers different that what I am thinking. It is way smarter than me!!

Again, thanks for all the help and explanations.

Fred

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMarty

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back