Can't Insert column without copying drop-down from adjacent column...

Kennelmouth

Excel 2003
Rows 1-11 make up a heading with cells A-I merged variously.
Starting at row 12 every cell in column A has a drop-down list, and column B is formatted for date, conditional formatting so that if the date is prior to today it is highlighted red. I need to add a column in between A and B (it would GREAT if it were an identical copy of B, actually, but just a blank one would be fine), but every time I try to do this the new column for some reason contains the drop down list from column A, so that column A and the new column B are identical.

FYI, I work in a gated community, this document is a list of home-owners and approved guests, so the header (rows 1A through 11I) is a stylized header that contains the owner info, and below that column A has a drop-down with (guest, contractor), column B is the date for expiration of the authorization for the person to be on site. I want to insert the NEW column B to be the date that the authorization BEGINS, but instead I get only the drop-down. THERE ARE 153 IDENTICAL SHEETS (I haven't entered the personal info yet) AND THEY ALL NEED TO CHANGE...so I'd prefer a solution that allows me to do all of them at once.

You are my last hope...

Please help.

Thank you, Josh.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi Josh and welcome.

Step 1: Select all 153 sheets that you want to duplicate Column B
  • Left-click on the tab (lower left of your screen) of the 1st sheet
  • Using the sheet slider bar, scroll to the last sheet
  • While holding sown the Shift key, left-click on the last sheet tab.
  • This should select all 153 sheets.

Step 2: Copy column B
  • On any selected sheet, left-click on the the "B" to select all of column B
  • Select "Copy" from the Edit menu
  • From the Insert menu, select "Copied Cells"

Done

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply, unfortunately I just get the same error messages; if I select B column and try to Insert Copied Cells I get something to the effect of "can't alter merged cells," and if I just try to insert below the header I still get the "can't be done with current resources" message. I've tried it on two different computers, because I wasn't sure exactly what "resources" I am lacking.

And of course, with all 153 pages highlighted (or even with just the whole column selected on a single sheet), I cannot select "validations" to remove the drop-down boxes. It would seem that I have to do it cell by cell.

But again, thank you for the reply and the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back