Can't Open Excel 2010 File (Under Windows XP) by Double Clicking On It

marcoheras

Suddenly a problem occurred when I try to open an Excel 2010 xlsm file by double clicking on it. I can open the file from within Excel but not by double-clicking on it. I tried the usual suggestions such as:

Unchecking File->Options->Advanced->General->Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)

Open With Excel, checking 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'

excel.exe /unregserver and then excel.exe /regserver

I repaired the Windows XP and reinstalled Excel.

When opening it from within Excel I saved it under a different name.

Nothing worked. Also, took a look at the questions in experts-exchange concerning this issue and didn't find the answer there either. Something is wrong with the file association but I don't want to solve that by making a new profile. Do you have an idea how this problem can be resolved?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
  1. Navigate to the folder containing the XLSX file you want to repair.
  2. Right-click the file and select "Copy" and then right-click on a blank space within the folder and select "Paste." This action generates a backup copy of the corrupted file.
  3. Open Microsoft Excel 2007 or later.
  4. Click the "Office" button in the top left corner of the window and select "Open."
  5. Navigate to the folder containing the copy of the XLSX file you generated previously and select it by single-clicking its icon.
  6. Click the arrow located to the right of the "Open" button and select "Open and Repair."
  7. Select "Repair." If you previously attempted this method and the process failed, try to extract only the values and formulas by selecting "Extract Data" instead. Regardless of the method you choose, your data will appear on the screen within a few seconds if the process completes successfully
  8. As last solution in case .xlsx file is severe damaged apply https://www.xlsx.openfiletool.com/ XLSX Open File Tool

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spenstar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back