Can't open MY .xls file, says it's protected, but I never protected it.

9tanstaafl9

I have a file from early 2012, where ironically enough I entered all the user names and passwords for all the new social networking accounts I set up for our business. I am FINALLY getting around to doing some marketing, but I can't open the file. It is asking for a password and saying it is protected, but I am 99% sure I wouldn't have protected it. When I create macros, I protect things, but this isn't a spreadsheet I would have done any VBA in, and even if I did, THOSE still open, you just can't make changes.

On top of that, I'm lazy and tend to use the same passwords all the time, and none of my regular passwords work. I think there is something else causing this issue, like maybe that I'm using a newer version of Excel now? Is that possible? I don't want to go to the trouble of buying/finding/installing an old version unless I'm really sure that would help.

Any help would be appreciated. I need this info as I can't recover some of the passwords using the social marketing retrieval processes on all the sites.

This really is my spreadsheet. Not trying to break any laws. Actually I only need the INFO on the spreadsheet, doesn't have to be pretty.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahSomethingExcel100

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back