Can't open workbook modified in Excel 2003 in Excel 2000

xfuture

:cry: I created a workbook using Excel 2000. Recently I made some changes with Excel 2003. Now some users with Excel 2000 can't open the document. I did change a couple of the original macros but the functionality is the same. I wouldn't think that that would prevent users from opening the file. Are there other things that could cause this? What might me some work arounds?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Try saving the workbook "down" to Excel 2000. Use the File/Save As menu, and then change the Save As Type option at the bottom of the window to be Microsoft Excel 97-2002 and 5.0/95 Workbook.

Anything that does not translate - formatting, code, etc - will be lost. Everything else will remain intact.

HTH

Upvote 0
That sounds like a solid thing to try. Since the workbook was originally developed on 2000 nothing should be lost. I will give that a go and see. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
Oddly enough it would not let me save it that way. First time I tried I got a message that I could not save it while the VBA was protected and to unprotect it. Then after I unprotected it I just got a message "document not saved." Back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0
When you say won't open, does it give you an error message or just take forever to open. I had a similar problem with a file I have that will take forever to update links due to me linking to a file on the network, but a colleague who runs xl2003 can open it up and the links update instantly. I believe this file was first created in 2000 then added to and saved in 2003. To get around this I choose not to update links on open and added the following code to thisworkbook:

Workbooks.Open Filename:="\\path\filename.xls"
Workbooks("filename.xls").Activate
ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink Name:=ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources
ActiveWorkbook.Close

Upvote 0
You are correct to question the will not open line. I found out by doing some testing myself that it will indeed open it just takes 8 minutes on a 2.2Ghz processor machine with the CPU at 100% for all 8 minutes. I don't know what would make it work so hard because to my knowledge there is no linking. I will try your suggestion though and see what happens.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back