Can't run the query I need, anybody help?

kmprice710

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have 5 tables of sales data. Let's call them car sales, boat sales, bike sales, trailer sales, jetski sales.
I have some common ID fields to all of them: year, customerid, companyid (all of my customers are corporate).
The problem is that a customer may not have bought a car and a boat or a bike and a trailer. Some people have multiple car purchases and nothing else.
But I'd like to see a sheet that has all customers and everything they have bought across categories..
I put together the query and joined them by customerid but the query did not pop up everybody. Then I tried year and Access is telling me that I don't have enough memory. (The car sales sheet has 135,000 records alone. Maybe that's the problem?)

How do I put together this query or do I need to try a different database program?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
The design is all wrong. But that aside, it's impossible to say what might be wrong with your query without actually seeing it.

Can you post the SQL of the query? (Open your query in Design view then from the Design ribbon select View>SQL.)

Upvote 0
The design is all wrong. But that aside, it's impossible to say what might be wrong with your query without actually seeing it.

Can you post the SQL of the query? (Open your query in Design view then from the Design ribbon select View>SQL.)

The tables were separate Excel spreadsheets and we wanted each customer to have 1 line for each year with all purchases for that year together in one row. We thought the best way to do that was to put them in Access and run a query that would link the tables together.

SELECT cars.companyid, motorcycles.companyid, boats.companyid, trailers.companyid, jetski.companyid, jetski.incpost, jetski.year1, jetski.company, jetski.customerid, jetski.customerreference, jetski.Posd, jetski.segd, jetski.dint, jetski.dnetprofit, jetski.itdwe, jetski.tsdwe, jetski.tadwe, jetski.ttdwe, jetski.tfldwe, jetski.skdwe, jetski.pddwe, jetski.frecwe, jetski.ffwe, trailers.incpost, trailers.year1, trailers.company, trailers.customerid, trailers.customerreference, trailers.posipu, trailers.segpu, trailers.pupatm, trailers.pupata, trailers.fpugm, trailers.fpuga, trailers.pupt, trailers.ptpuyds, boats.incpost, boats.year1, boats.company, boats.customerreference, boats.customerid, boats.posk, boats.segk, boats.qtyk, boats.knetprofit, boats.krtdte, boats.prwe, boats.prsatyds, boats.prtdopps, motorcycles.incpost, motorcycles.year1, motorcycles.company, motorcycles.customerid, motorcycles.customerreference, motorcycles.posp, motorcycles.segp, motorcycles.pqty, motorcycles.pcmp, motorcycles.pnetprofit, motorcycles.ptdte, motorcycles.pntwe, cars.incpost, cars.year1, cars.company, cars.customerid, cars.customerreference, cars.posr, cars.segr, cars.qtyr, cars.rnetprofit, cars.rtdte, cars.recwe, cars.recsatyds, cars.rectdopps
FROM (((motorcycles INNER JOIN cars ON motorcycles.[year1] = cars.[year1]) INNER JOIN boats ON motorcycles.[year1] = boats.[year1]) INNER JOIN trailers ON boats.year1 = trailers.[year1]) INNER JOIN jetski ON trailers.[year1] = jetski.year1;

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do all the tables have the same fields?

Upvote 0
No, but they have some common fields like year1, customer id, company id, company name, customer name. I tried to join them on each one of those but the query only returned rows that had a customer on each table. Some customers only buy cars or only buy boats or buy boats and cars but not trailers.

Upvote 0

Somebody on the Excel board solved it by using Powerr Query. Does that also work for Access?

Upvote 0
Do all the tables have the same fields?

This problem was solved on the Excel board with dummy data that I have provided here, but I have not been able to duplicate the solution on the real data. I have 100,000 rows to transform and I'm really late in delivering this to my boss. If anybody can please walk me through how to do this, I would be appreciate it so much!

Upvote 0
If a customer bought a car but no trailer, there is no "equality" when you specify equal joins on everything. I'd say that you'd need to LEFT join trailers on customers, left join cars on customers and so on. That would require that the customer id is in every sales table. If it is not, then I don't know. As noted, it seems like your tables structure is and will continue to be an obstacle. Perhaps you'll have to group data with a UNION query first so that you have something "normal" to work with.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back