Can't see text

stockman256

I've got an old spreadsheet that was created using Excel 2002. I recently upgraded to 2010 and converted the spreadsheet. There is a lot of conditional formatting in it so that if a number is 0, it is set as the same color as the background (sometimes that is white, sometimes it is yellow) so you can't see all of the zeros.

I have two issues:

1. Whenever I am typing, I can't see anything in the cell. I can see what I'm typing in the formula bar at the top, but I'm used to looking at the cell I'm working in.

2. When I enter a new row, the text is formatted the same as the background whether the value is zero or not (so you can't see it when there is a "real" number entered). I checked the conditional formatting for these new cells and it appears to be the same as all the others. I end up having to use the format painter to copy the formatting from another row.

Any idea what's going on here? Thanks for your help.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Welcom to the Board.

I'm not sure if this applies with 2010 since I have 2007, but if it doesn't somebody else might comment.

If you only want to Hide the Zero's, Click on the Office Button, then Excel Options. Under Advanced, scroll down to "Display options for this workbook." Uncheck in the "Show a zero in cells that have zero value. OK your way out.

Then I would remove all Conditional Formating that makes reference to a zero 0.

As far as nuber 2. When you insert a row all formating is copied down. So that is why you are having the same problem with new rows.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back