Can't see Validation

JMB_0159

Hi all, I have Validation on 2 columns within my work sheet, I cannot see the values within the list when you go to enter a value. If you input a wrong value it just comes up with a warning. I have a list defined on another page which is being referanced. The other thing is that if i add another worksheet and add validation to any columns or cells it works, can anyone help in determaining why it will not work in my original worksheet.

Much Appreciated
James

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hi all, I have Validation on 2 columns within my work sheet, I cannot see the values within the list when you go to enter a value. If you input a wrong value it just comes up with a warning. I have a list defined on another page which is being referanced. The other thing is that if i add another worksheet and add validation to any columns or cells it works, can anyone help in determaining why it will not work in my original worksheet.

Much Appreciated
James
Is the "list defined on another page (I assume this is another sheet)" a named range?

Upvote 0
You are correct, The list is defined on another worksheet.
Then when you enter the reference in the data validation dialog box you must either refer to a named range or include the sheet name. For example, suppose the list is in cells A1:A5 on worksheet 'Sheet2' and you name it myList. Then you can use it as the list for data validation on another sheet (say Sheet1) if in the data validation refers to box you enter = myList. Alternatively, you can enter =Sheet2!A1:A5.

Upvote 0
Then when you enter the reference in the data validation dialog box you must either refer to a named range or include the sheet name. For example, suppose the list is in cells A1:A5 on worksheet 'Sheet2' and you name it myList. Then you can use it as the list for data validation on another sheet (say Sheet1) if in the data validation refers to box you enter = myList. Alternatively, you can enter =Sheet2!A1:A5.
Thats correct, In the Validation I have selected List and the list name Prime_Owner. this list consists of about a dozen names etc. I cannot see any values when i go to enter the value on the master sheet.
Would it be poss to send a copy of the file so that you can actually see what is / is not going on.

James.

Upvote 0
Thats correct, In the Validation I have selected List and the list name Prime_Owner. this list consists of about a dozen names etc. I cannot see any values when i go to enter the value on the master sheet.
Would it be poss to send a copy of the file so that you can actually see what is / is not going on.

James.
Send me a private message on this board and I'll send you an email address to send your file to.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back