Can't set application.screenupdating = False ... Going insane...

9tanstaafl9

I can't seem to turn off screenupdating for any macros on one workbook. I do not have this problem with other workbooks.

My macro does not crash, it appears to run properly, and when I step through the code line by line it appears like the application.screenupdating = false is being run. But if I hover over it in the editor it says that it is application.screenupdating = true.

I tried setting a watch for all procedures, and it says that the screen updating IS being changed to False when it should be, yet it isn't. If I check the status of screen updating immediately after the watch verified the change switched to false, it still says that it is TRUE.

I have tried using the immediate window with the following code after restarting excel and running no macros:
application.screenupdating = false
msgbox application.screenupdating (which responds with "True")

Any ideas?

Excel 2013, I don't have any add-ins, no other programs opened before testing, I commented out everything in my personal.xlsb, I did not open any other workbooks after restart before testing. No variables declared outside the module. No on_open or anything like that.

And please don't just tell me to get rid of my selects and it won't matter. One, I've already got rid of all of them that I could, and two, I'm just nuts enough that even if the screen wasn't flickering, it would drive me crazy not to know WHY this is happening.

I've been trying to figure this out all day. I've googled it to death and can't find an answer. Any guidance appreciated. Note that I'm about a level 3 out of 10 at VBA so it's possible I've done something incredibly stupid.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Are you using any Global variables or outside procedures? Sometimes the round-trip can reset ScreenUpdating. And I recall a case where using a Watch actually reset it as well, although I haven't experienced it.

Unfortunately, I've found lots of instances over the years where ScreenUpdating just doesn't behave. It's just one of those things...

Upvote 0
Are you using any Global variables or outside procedures? Sometimes the round-trip can reset ScreenUpdating. And I recall a case where using a Watch actually reset it as well, although I haven't experienced it.

Unfortunately, I've found lots of instances over the years where ScreenUpdating just doesn't behave. It's just one of those things...

Thanks, if that's just the way life is I'll have to learn to accept it. No global variables or outside procedures. It happens with everything, even in the immediate window.

Upvote 0
Thanks, if that's just the way life is I'll have to learn to accept it. No global variables or outside procedures. It happens with everything, even in the immediate window.

You could try a Fix+Repair as that has seemed to resolve some issues, but I've never been able to dig up anything concrete on this.

Upvote 0
My point was that it is happening on all the macros, even the simple ones, and even in the immediate window before any macros have been run. Macros with screenupdating hat work in other workbooks but not this one. I think there has to be something in on the spreadsheet itself that may be causing this trouble, but I can't figure out what it is. Unfortunately, I've inherited this workbook, which has MANY sheets and lots of weird formulas.

Upvote 0
Control Panel-->Programs & Features-->Office Version-->Change-->Fix & Repair

I actually use it frequently to "fix" Office when it starts hanging up unexpectedly. It's essentially just a way to reset Office and clear out the bloat.

Upvote 0
Control Panel-->Programs & Features-->Office Version-->Change-->Fix & Repair

I actually use it frequently to "fix" Office when it starts hanging up unexpectedly. It's essentially just a way to reset Office and clear out the bloat.

I'm running that now. Thanks!

Also, could I just be testing this wrong? Does msgbox application.screenupdating always return TRUE?

Upvote 0
it shouldn't, but I generally use Debug.Print as it's less obtrusive. Just make sure to have the Immediate window open if you do that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back