CAN'T USE VBA - But need to automate test reports.

Doug_at_9

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
LET ME SAY IT AGAIN UPFRONT - OUR IT DEPARTMENT WILL NOT ALLOW US TO USE VBA !!!
After fighting with our IT Department - and losing - I now understand my company's policy of not allowing VBA macros inside our company network.

Especially in the engineering department we have proprietary material. By opening the window to VBA our IT Department believes the chance is too great for malicious code to be able to sneak in inside of a macro.

So...moving on. The only option left is to write more complex formulas "the old way" to make Excel do what we need it to do.
We know Excel can do it, but my department is a too busy and a little to rusty to know how to crank out this answer.

My challenge. We use Data Acquisition Systems to gather test data. The test data is saved as Excel files.

The hard part comes because the test can be run on one of three possible test stands. Each different test stand produces a data file that has unique quirks related to what particular test stand the test was performed on. All three test stands produce a certain amount of garbage data. For example, all values less than zero at the beginning of a test can be thrown away. We have actually thought about setting the lower threshold to be a larger number like 100. Then after building to a peak, all data after the peak value is...questionable and can probably be throw out as well.

Furthermore, the test will take different times depending on which test stand the test is performed on.

The final challenge is that the technicians performing the test have limited technical training.

That is why we want to be able to have the technician "copy and paste" the excel file into another excel report template file. Inside the report template the Junk data will automatically be removed, the Pass/Fail equation applied, and the final test report self populates the results.

We have "parts" of the report template already working. But the initial part that must accept different / random length data files and discard the junk data before converting into different units of measure is slowing down the project. Throwing out all values below a lower threshold is already done. But throwing out all data points "X" seconds - AFTER the peak loading is stumping us.

Can anyone suggest examples or particular subjects to study to help find the solution?

Sincere thanks for your input.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
IT departments can be so closed minded and tribal. Many large companies with IT departments (something I have direct experience with) coexist with VBA just fine. Excel+VBA is one of the most powerful and flexible engineering productivty tool around. That said, if VBA is out, then I think you probably want to explore Excel's Power Query feature (there is a forum here for that) which has a good chance of doing what you need (though I am no expert) - or else look at third party programming tools that your company will allow (Perl, Python, etc). to create a standalone application to clean your data.

Another interesting choice.

Upvote 0
IT departments can be so closed minded and tribal. Many large companies with IT departments (something I have direct experience with) coexist with VBA just fine. Excel+VBA is one of the most powerful and flexible engineering productivty tool around. That said, if VBA is out, then I think you probably want to explore Excel's Power Query feature (there is a forum here for that) which has a good chance of doing what you need (though I am no expert) - or else look at third party programming tools that your company will allow (Perl, Python, etc). to create a standalone application to clean your data.

Another interesting choice.
Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back