Capitalized File Extension???? Why and How to Change from ".XLSX" to ".xlsx"

AlexB123

Board Regular
I have an excel file that is saved with a capitalized extension, "XLSX". I've tried to resave the file with a lowercase "xlsx" extension, but I am unable to do so. I've checked in the options and settings, and searched online for an explanation, but have had no luck.

Can anyone tell me when and why files get saved with a capitalized extension? Also, how can I change to the lowercase extension?

Thanks,

jmacleary

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi there. I assume you are using windows, which for largely historical reasons doesnt differentiate between upper and lower case all the time. So, instead of using save as, use file explorer to edit the extension directly. The cahnge will then stick. You may need to change your view setting to show file extensions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_Dubs

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• VBA (Userform)
    Hi All, I just would like to know why my code isn't working. Here is my VBA code: [CODE=vba]Private Sub OKButton_Click() Dim i As Integer...
  • List box that changes fill color
    Hello, I have gone through so many pages trying to figure this out. I have a 2020 calendar that depending on the day needs to have a certain...
  • Remove duplicates and retain one. Cross-linked cases
    Hi all I ran out of google keywords to use and still couldn't find a reference how to achieve the results of a single count. It would be great if...
  • VBA Copy and Paste With Duplicates
    Hello All, I'm in need of some input. My VBA skills are sub-par at best. I've assembled this code from basic research and it works but is...
  • Macro
    is it possible for a macro to run if the active cell value is different to the value above it
  • IF DATE and TIME
    I currently use this to check if date has passed but i also need to set a time on it too. Is it possible? [CODE=vba]=IF(B:B>TODAY(),"Not...