Capturing Outlook actions in an Excel Macro?

JazzSP8

Office Version
  1. 2013
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm not 100% Sure if I am in the right forum for this question, apologies if not :)

Part of my job requires me to send out updates every hour or so, I enter this information into a spreadsheet to work out all the percentages etc.

I then open Outlook and use a Template to give me the bulk of the Email Body and I enter the details from Excel into the Template manually.

I've noticed a few Posts about Excel and Outlook and it got me thinking about this, but none of them give me the answer that I need, so, in the interests of learning I recorded a Macro to see what was happening and if I could amend it to do what I wanted at the press of a button.

Trouble is, when I flicked over to Outlook, the macro didn't record anything I did there (I'm not suprised really) and I was just wondering if there was a way to capture what I did in Outlook via Excel.

I had the idea of recording what I did in Outlook from within Outlook and trying to merge them, but, I can't find "Record Macro" in Outlook so I am scuppered there as well.

If it isn't possible then I may well be asking for some help with this soon, just wanted a crack at it myself before I bothered anyone :)

Thanks in advance for any points in the right direction.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Did you manage to sort this ?? i have some code that will more than likely do the job for you, automatically filling in the To, Subject and body using cell values if you like.

Let me know if you need and i'll post

Upvote 0
Hey Neil

I managed to sort a work around before I left work earlier today, its not what I wanted to do originally, but it does the job.

I got used to working with Excel 2003 at my last place of employment and am now on 2000 at my current place, there's an extra button called 'Send Mail' that I hadn't seen before that I used instead of going to Outlook, its the same as selecting "Send the current worksheet as body" when you click 'Email' in 2003. I created another spreadsheet and use that to input the data, use another for the Email and calculations and I'm good, the spreadsheet I was using before did all the calculations and many more so it was a bit of pain trying not to mess with the other data if I forgot to delete something, managers sometimes access the file and it would be easy for them to panic if they wandered onto it when I was working with it.

I still wouldn't mind seeing the code though if you don't mind, I am eager to learn and have indeed learnt a lot from reading code, more than half the things I have learnt so far has been of modifying examples used on this board and as I am sure most readers of the board find, its a good way to learn.

Theres still a few quirks I would like ironed out so maybe your code will help me sort that :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjurney

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back