Cell background color: possible to check color value w/o VBA

Foeth

I have a small sheet with a table with some results. Exceeding a value will give the relevant cell a different color (say: orange or red). At either side of the table a warning label appears (simple exclamation mark, text).

To have the warning label appear, I now need a very long OR statement containing all conditions used in all conditional formats of the table. It is a lot easier to check if a cell is orange and trigger the warning label from that.

Note that all cells already have a color (blue) and the warning needs to be triggered by a different color (orange). All this without VBA, so simple Excel.

Additional:

To save myself from having endless formulae with brackets, I inserted a name Pi equaling 3,14etc. Is there any chance that this name Pi may cause confusions with PI()? (I am trying to remove invalid page faults, to no avail and am getting creative in tracking down "errors")
This message was edited by Foeth on 2002-10-07 08:20

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Foeth,

You are already using one possible solution with your conditional formating method to change the colour of the cell. Just extend this idea to the cell with your flag. The method I tested was to put an ! in the required cell, and make the font colour white. Conditionally format your flag cell to turn the font to a visible colur just as you did to change the background colour.

HTH, Tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back