Cell Background Color Will Not Change on Inherited Document

ExcelHelp3

Background Info:
I inherited an excel doc (.xlsx format) and am using Excel 2010. There are NO conditional formatting rules in the entire workbook, nor is it protected. All of the values do seem to be copy & pasted from a different workbook though. I say this because there are almost no formulas, pretty much all values. Also, some of the columns are clearly numbers but have the error message saying "Convert to number" which makes me think the person who sent this to me used formulas to get the values then copy & special pasted (values) onto a new spreadsheet to send out.

Questions:
1. This issue I am experiencing is if I click on a cell and try to change the background color, nothing happens. If I click the change background button a second time, it will change though. Has anyone here experienced this before?

2. I have tried to create conditional formatting to highlight the rows which pertain to me but cannot get the background color to change. I originally created a rule that highlighted any cell which =87. When that did not work, I removed the error on this column and converted them to numbers. The conditional formatting still did not work, even when I deleted and reassigned the rule. I then tried deleting an entry and re-typing 87 which also did not work. Next, I created conditional formatting where it would change the background color, font color and border style, which caused the cells with 87 to change their font color and border style but NOT the background color. Therefore, only the background color is not working. What could be causing this?

3. If I create data in a new column to the right of the original data and apply conditional formatting, it works correctly.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Does it contain VBA macros which could be preventing you from doing what you want?
How are some of the cells "clearly numbers"? What method are you using to determine this?

Are you able to post the spreadsheet?
Remove any sensitive data.
You cant attach files on this forum.
Upload the file to an online storage site then place a link to it on this forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No VBA or macros on any of the worksheets.

The cells I am referring to are a column for territory number (customers in territory 87 just have "87" in this column), another is for estimated annual usage, etc.

-- removed inline image ---

-- removed inline image ---

I would rather not post the actual spreadsheet.

The conditional formatting oddities (background color doesn't change but font/borders do) happen on all original data in the spreadsheet I was sent.

Upvote 0
No image posted
You cant attach files on this forum.

What happens if you create a new spreadsheet and copy (within Excel) the contents to that new spreadsheet.
Does it behave any differently?

Upvote 0
I was hoping it would post because it worked correctly in this input box but was messed up once the reply was sent. :(
Here they are.... Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

If I open the spreadsheet from the original email, copy the data and paste it to a new worksheet (same workbook) the same thing happens. Conditional formatting will change font color and border style but NOT background color.

If I open the spreadsheet from the original email, copy the data and paste it to a new worksheet in a NEW workbook, the conditional formatting works correctly. Background color, font color and border style will all change when 87 is the value in the cell. Also in this new workbook, the background color of all cells will change on the first click.

One edit from my original post... when I add my own random data to a column to the right of the original data, the conditional formatting works the same as other places. Background color does NOT change but border style & font color do.

Also, I ran a compatibility checker and got this result Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back