Cell background colours

RichardMGreen

Hi all

Is it possible to count the number of times a background colour appears using a simple(ish) function rather than VBA?

I want to write a formula that will give an overall reading (red/amber/green) depending on the colours of 6 other cells. The other cells are driven by a base colour and then changed by conditional formatting.

Anyone any ideas?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Richard

If the colours are the result of conditional formatting then you already have the criteria required to perform the count (ie it is the same criteria used in the Conditional Formatting). Thus some form of Sumproduct would likely work.

Upvote 0
Richard,

Can you not re-create your conditions from the conditional formatting in your formula ?

Any chance of posting what your conditional formatting rules are ?

Upvote 0
Hia ll

I'm trying to use this function to work out what colour the cell in question should be using conditional formatting.
Code:
Function cellcolour(p1 As Range, p2 As Range, p3 As Range, s1 As Range, s2 As Range, s3 As Range)
    If p1.Interior.ColorIndex = 12 Or p2.Interior.ColorIndex = 12 Or p3.Interior.ColorIndex = 12 Then cellcolour = 2
    If (p1.Interior.ColorIndex = 12 And p2.Interior.ColorIndex = 12) Or (p1.Interior.ColorIndex = 12 And p3.Interior.ColorIndex = 12) Or (p2.Interior.ColorIndex = 12 And p3.Interior.ColorIndex = 12) Then cellcolour = 1
End Function

At the minute, I only have information in cells P1,P2 and P3 so they are changing colour.
P1 and P3 are the same red but are coming up with different colourindex figures (even though it uses the same conditional formatting for the changing of the colours).

Anyone know how to sort this out?

::edit::
Please ignore this - light has finally dawned I can use the values that are driving the conditional formatting.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back