Cell Comments won't stay in position; float at random

JohnS

[Office 2007 and Office 2003]
Is there no one else who has this problem??? I have searched this site and elsewhere on the web in the sites of several trusted experts and MVP's, and have even tried to find some help on Microsoft Community, even [gag] Microsoft Support, without success.
Cell comments supposedly stay "anchored" to the parent cell, if you select the option, "Move and size with cells", in the Properties tab of the Format Comment dialog box.
Wrong.
Mine float at random. I never know where a comment might be located when I want to edit it.
Where is the functionality that Microsoft supposedly developed for the purpose of the above-mentioned Format Comment option?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I already have an effective VBA procedure which re-positions each cell comment on a worksheet.
I don't want any more VBA solutions.
I just want the comments to stop floating around the worksheet, that's all, so that I don't have to use the VBA proc, and do a round-up several times during a lengthy analysis or edit session.
Is anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
If the Cell is pushed or pulled around by other cells/rows/columns being inserted or deleted, I would see that as real problem.
Are any of the comments anchored to a named cell? The column/row reference would change (float) but not the name reference.
:confused:
Or is this more about the Comment box's placement when "Show All Comments" is activated?

Upvote 0
If the Cell is pushed or pulled around by other cells/rows/columns being inserted or deleted, I would see that as real problem.
Are any of the comments anchored to a named cell? The column/row reference would change (float) but not the name reference.
:confused:
Or is this more about the Comment box's placement when "Show All Comments" is activated?

Thank you , SpillerBD;
Since that post on 8/6/14, I have reconciled to use of VBA code, and I've searched for and made up many procedures... Now I tend to "operate" on all the comments globally on a worksheet, and that includes more than just the position of the comment.

If you're interested in the latest of my procs (and it works, even though the posting doesn't look very pretty at the moment), please see my posting today, under the thread "Resizing Multiple Comments", post #17. Comments invited and welcomed.

Thanks.

JohnS

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back