Cell Completetion

Kpjacques

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am attempting to have one column fill with one of 5 responses based on what is typed in another column. In this case, my C column can have 1 of 5 values placed into it (Staff, Faculty, Student, Visitor, and Vendor), from there I want my J Column to have another word placed into it. I am not quite getting this to work for me. Any advice on how to get this to work?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Welcome to the Board!

You should be able to do this by creating a lookup list (first column contains number, second the string to associate with each number).
Then you should be able use a simple VLOOKUP formula to return the looked up value when a number is entered in another cell.

See here for details and examples: MS Excel: How to use the VLOOKUP Function (WS)
If you run into issues, post your formula attempt and we should be able to help you fix it.

Upvote 0
=VLOOKUP(C2, Sheet1!A1:B5,10,FALSE)

Not sure what is going wrong here. C Column on the Log sheet is where I am entering the category, I want the J column on the log sheet to fill from a table on sheet 1.

Upvote 0
Your lookup range (second argument) should contain the column you want to include, i.e.
=VLOOKUP(C2, Sheet1!A1:J5,10,FALSE)
(how can you return the 10th column of a 2 column range?)

Upvote 0
I think I am misunderstood. The J Column is where the result is going not where the table ends. The table is A to B on Sheet one. The J column is on the Log sheet where the result must go after one of the values in the C column in the log sheet is typed (Staff, Student, etc...)

Upvote 0
Here are pictures of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• Log Sheet.PNG
    Log Sheet.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Sheet 1.PNG
    Sheet 1.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Then it is the third argument of your formula that you must update:
=VLOOKUP(C2, Sheet1!A1:B5,2,FALSE)

The formula does not care what cell you are putting it in.
The second and third arguments work in tandem.

The second argument is your lookup range. The first column MUST be the column you are looking in, and the range MUST include the value you want to look up.
The third argument wants to know the index number of the lookup range where the value you want to return resides.

So, if it is a 2 column range, and you want to return the second column, you enter a 2 in the third argument.

Upvote 0
Solution
You are welcome.
Glad I was able to help.

The VLOOKUP formula can seem a little tricky the first time you do it, but after understand how it works and you use it a few times, it begins to make more sense.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back