cell content changing it's color shade

sskrinar

Not sure if this applies to earlier versions, but I'm concerned with Excel '07. I know the heading/title might sound simple, but I'm trying to figure out how to coordinate the sum of a cell with a color. For instance, if I have four colors to decipher the sum in a cell (ranging from low to high, i.e. blue = poor or lowest quartile/percentage, green = below average or 2nd lowest quartile/percentage, orange = above avg or 2nd highest quartile/percentage, and red = well above average or highest quartile), how do I coordinate the cells with the numbers that show up in the cell?

It's kind of like the mathematical "if...then" statement, but using colors to represent how high or low the numbers are in comparison to an average.

(blue) well below avg/poor = 1-25%
(green) below avg = 26-50%
(orange) above avg = 51-75%
(red) well above avg/excellent = 76-100%

Thanks for the help, if you have an idea what I'm attempting.
-Steve

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi sskrinar & Welcome to the MrExcel Forum,

It sounds like this setup would work for you. For the next 2 conditions just repeat 2 more conditions in the conditional formatting which would make the 4 conditions you desire and 2007 can support this. 2003 is limited to 3.

Average

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 101px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD> </TD><TD>H</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">0%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD style="COLOR: #3366ff; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Well Below</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #00ff00; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: groove; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #00ff00; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: groove; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: groove; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffcf9; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: groove"><TBODY><TR><TD>Spreadsheet Formulas</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca"><TD>Cell</TD><TD>Formula</TD></TR><TR><TD>H7</TD><TD>=LOOKUP(H6,{0,0.26,0.51,0.76},{"Well Below","Below","Above","Well Above"})</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ff0000; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ff0000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: groove; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ff0000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: groove; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: groove; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffcf9; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ff0000; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: groove"><TBODY><TR><TD>Conditional formatting </TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Cell</TD><TD>Nr.: / Condition</TD><TD>Format</TD></TR><TR><TD>H7</TD><TD>1. / Formula is =H7="Well Below"</TD><TD style="COLOR: #3366ff">Abc</TD></TR><TR><TD>H7</TD><TD>2. / Formula is =H7="Below"</TD><TD style="COLOR: #00ff00">Abc</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back