Cell contents over 1024 characters will not center or right align

wilkisa

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
  3. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Excel 2013. My user has a cell in which he enters contract numbers one after another in the single cell, ie., 123456, 234567, 345678, etc. The cell is 15 characters wide and the default height. He does not want the cell size changed. Each day, or several times a day, he has to add a new contract number to the end of the list. When it was still a reasonably short list, the cell would always display the last number in the list. He could then F2 and add the new number to the end which was then visible in the cell. He has discovered that, as time has passed that he is no longer seeing the last contract. Instead, he is seeing the number that is at the 1024 character mark (his cell has 2453 characters). His alignment is Right-Indent. Changed to Center alignment and it focuses on the midway point between 1 and 1024.

This isn't a show-stopper but more a curiosity. Can someone explain why it performs this way?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Thank you for your reply but I'm not sure what you want me to see in the link provided. I know the cell limitations are not being met so that shouldn't be an issue. We don't want to add yet another cell in this document as it is a form his department uses and they won't allow structure modification. The issue is really very simple, though. When the cell contents are less than 1024 and alignment is RIGHT (INDENTED), the last item in the text displays perfectly in the cell without resizing it. Once the content is more than 1024, it will not display the additional data regardless of alignment. Again, this isn't a show stopper but more a curiosity and annoyance.

Upvote 0
probably a bug that is not known about and i can't think of a reason to keep incrementing to the right (beyond that is happening here)

Upvote 0
Yes, Mole999, I concluded that it was a bug that is not high on the priority fix list. I just hoped that maybe it was something I was overlooking. I appreciate your responses, however, and am glad someone else sees it the same way I do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back