Cell data from one sheet to another based on drop down box

sbaird

I am drawing a complete blank… as well as being a noob…

I have a single WB with two sheets.

Sheet 1 has Item (a1), Serial (b1), qty (c1), etc., used for specifically selected items. Think of it as my shopping list.
Sheet 2 has item (a1) and serial (b1) of all possible items. Think of it as a catalog that list available items and stock #s.

I would like sheet 1 Item (a1) to be a drop down box that lists all possible items (from sheet 2 a1))…
And then populate sheet 1 serial (b2) with the sheet 2 serial (b2) that matches the selected item.
And do the same for 15 rows on sheet 1.

Does that make sense?

I know there is an easy answer… and I thought it was VLOOKUP, but I can’t seem to make that work.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
What version of Excel are you using?
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

I would recommend using Excel Tables since it will simplify the ongoing maintenance as you expand the catalog.
  1. Convert your catalog in Sheet 2 to a table (select a cell inside the table and press Ctrl+T - Ctrl+L also works and it the latter also works in Web Excel)
  2. Give the table a name - Table Design > TableName (far left of toolbar). To follow along use the name "tblCatalog"
  3. In Sheet 1 I would also use a table but its optional
  4. In Sheet 2 highlight the column A for the rows you want the validation on and go Data > Data Validation > List and assuming you have used my table name copy the following into the Source box =INDIRECT("tblCatalog[Item]")
  5. In Sheet 2 column B put this formula into the B2 and copy it down,
    Excel Formula:
    =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,tblCatalog,2,FALSE),"")
Let me know how you go.

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

I would recommend using Excel Tables since it will simplify the ongoing maintenance as you expand the catalog.
  1. Convert your catalog in Sheet 2 to a table (select a cell inside the table and press Ctrl+T - Ctrl+L also works and it the latter also works in Web Excel)
  2. Give the table a name - Table Design > TableName (far left of toolbar). To follow along use the name "tblCatalog"
  3. In Sheet 1 I would also use a table but its optional
  4. In Sheet 2 highlight the column A for the rows you want the validation on and go Data > Data Validation > List and assuming you have used my table name copy the following into the Source box =INDIRECT("tblCatalog[Item]")
  5. In Sheet 2 column B put this formula into the B2 and copy it down,
    Excel Formula:
    =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,tblCatalog,2,FALSE),"")
Let me know how you go.

Doesn't work... In items 4 and 5 in your response, is there something I need to put in Sheet 1?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back