Cell format for numeric values as 00,00,000 (hundred thou)

bhatta

Hi! I seem to have a problem to which no satisfactory answer exists. In India, the number system is in hundred thousands instead of millions and billions. I am yet to discover a cell formatting that shows 1234567 as 12,34,567 and yet leaves a simple 0 intact as 0. The default comma format does not work. In the "Regional Settings" on control panel, this kind of number formatting is shown in the dropdown if the country selected is India - but this just does not apply to Excel cells. I tried ##","##","### but that just shows 1234 as ,1,234 (should show as 1,234) and a 0 as ,, :cry: . Now I am at my wits end. Any ideas, anybody?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Thanks a million

Fabulous! :biggrin: It was your own post dated more than three years back, as I observe - as expected, in response to a query from one of my fellow Indians. Wonder how you could remember that? In India (and generally in the subcontinent - Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka), we have this legacy number system, which counts in hundreds after the first thousand. A 100,000 is called a Lakh. A 100 Lakhs are called a Crore. A 100 Crores are an Arb - and so on. Even our banks work that way. Nevertheless, it becomes a real pain when working on Excel or any other App that takes the Western World numbering system as the default standard. Thanks a million, Andrew!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back