cell formatting based on "IF" statements

jpf5911

Board Regular
I have a section of a sheet where I only want certain data to display based on other data in the sheet. So, I am using "IF" statements. This works fine except that I would like a portion of the data surrounded by a box (Cell borders) and a portion is a column of numbers that are summed up so I also want a double underline at the bottom.

If I format the cells to create the borders and the double underline, then the borders exist even when no data is there.

How do I tie these formatting choices to an "IF" statement?

Thanks OH GREAT EXCEL WIZARDS.

JPF

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi JPF,

How about using Conditional Formatting?

(Format menu item, then Conditional Formatting)

HTH

Upvote 0
Hmmm, that's pretty close, and I didn't know about that feature. However, it won't completely do the trick since I want to make a cells formatting conditional upon the value of a different cell, not the cell itself.

Thanks,

JPF

Upvote 0
You are on the right track. But instead of using "Cell Value Is" in the first drop down box, choose "Value Is" and put in:

$A$1=1

where A1 is the cell that drives the formatting and the "1" is your target value.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm sure this can be done. Try using the search facility (top right) and check previous posts on conditional formatting.

(Sorry I can't give a direct solution myself - I can't remember the method :wink: )

Upvote 0
OF COURSE!!!!

It's amazing how you can be an "expert" level Excel user with years of experience and still learn something new.

Thanks,

JPF

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back