% cell formatting to 16 decimal places

jkgreen

Board Regular
How do I keep Excel 2010 from auto formatting a percentage cell to 16 decimal places upon the first calculation in the cell? Is there a place where I can set that auto format to 2 decimal places?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.

cpg84

How do I keep Excel 2010 from auto formatting a percentage cell to 16 decimal places upon the first calculation in the cell? Is there a place where I can set that auto format to 2 decimal places?

Select every cell that you are referring to and format them as percentage with 2 decimal points.

Seems simple, or am I not understanding correctly?

jkgreen

Board Regular
Yeah, it doesn't matter which worksheet I have open, often when I divide one number by another to get a percentage, the formatting automatically selects 14, 15 or 16 decimal places. I'm wondering if there is a setting that I can change so that any percentage calculations will be formatted to two or three decimal places.

cpg84

What version of Office are you using? If you have 2007 or 2010, go to Options and then Advanced. It will say ho many decimal points are defaulted in. 2003 should have a similar menu as well.

jkgreen

Board Regular
I have Excel 2010. I looked in the options but did not see anything. I'll have to take another look later this morning.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdnhan

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...