Cell Protection

driver49

How do I protect a range of cells within a worksheet? I can only find the option in the menus to protect the entire worksheet.

I want to protect certain cells so that I don't accidentally enter info into them. And I wouldn't mind if the unprotected cells could be made to have a different appearance (e.g. background pattern) than the protected cells...

--PS

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
All cells are locked by default, but the locking is only effective if the worksheet is protected. So you need to unlock the cells which can be changed (Format, Cells, Protection tab) then protect the worksheet.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I still don't get it.

By "default" you mean... what? It does not appear to me that a spreadsheet is protected by default.

So I go to the tools menu and select protection, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good, I can still input into any cell I want.

Sorry to be so dense but this is not obvious.

--PS

Upvote 0
Right click a cell and choose Format Cells. On the Protection tab check Locked and click OK.

Choose Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet and click OK. You will not be able to enter data in the cell you just locked.

In a new workbook all cells are locked (that's what I mean by default). Perhaps you have unlocked all yours.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back