Cell reference to output cell macro

petegrant89

I have data in Columns A-BI in groups of rows ranging in number (each group will have a different amount of rows every time the report is run). The groups of data are separated by a row of blank cells. I have been trying to design a macro where I can place my cursor underneath the group of data in column BI, and when I run the macro a designated output cell is populated with the cell reference (coordinates) of the top non-blank cell in column BI before the blank row.

Note: the problem I have been having is that I need this macro to function with all groups of data going down the page, which vary in terms of how many rows they consist of. I need this macro to populate the output cell with the cell reference of the top non-blank cell before the blank row in the group of data that my ActiveCell is currently under, so I can run the same macro for each group of data on the page.

Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Perfect - thank you very much. I was making it wayyyyyy more complicated than it needed to be. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Follow-up Question:

How can I implement the returned cell address into another macro-driven formula? Example: I would like the line of text to look like this: ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=COUNTIF("RETURNED CELL ADDRESS":activecell.offset(3, -3),"="&activecell.offset(-1))".... however I feel as though I just more or less bastardized the VBA coding language...

Upvote 0
I have included the link to a screenshot of one of the data groups that I am referring to. Because they go all the way down the sheet and each has a different amount of rows, but my data analytical data always has the same relation to the bottom cells, I used the code that you provided earlier to identify the top piece of data in the group (ActiveCell.Value = ActiveCell.Offset(-1).End(xlUp).Address).
I want to use the cell that the code above returns in subsequent lines of code in the same macro, but also reference other cells (based on "Activecell.offset" references) in the same line; I do not know how to do this (or if it is possible to.)
The line of code that I would like to include these references in is: "=COUNTIF("RETURNED CELL ADDRESS":activecell.offset(3, -3),"="&activecell.offset(-1))".

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_sHW5e7EgaQQU9DVHNvZTQ1b00/edit?usp=sharing

Upvote 0
Is it?

Code:
Sub Test()
    Dim r As Long
    With ActiveCell
        r = .Offset(-1).End(xlUp).Row
        .FormulaR1C1 = "=COUNTIF(R" & r & "C:R[-1]C,""=""&R[-4]C[3])"
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
I have one line of code that is returning a Compile error - "Expected: end of statement". The line of code is:
.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(R[-1]C[1]" > "0,COUNTIF(R" & x & "C[-2]:R[1]C[-2],"" <= ""&R[-2]C[1]),IF(R[-1]C[1]" = "0,COUNTIF(R" & x & "C[-2]:R[1]C[-2],""<=""&R[-2]C[1])+1))".

To put it into context, I have attached my (horribly sloppy) code down below... the same screenshot of what the sheet looks like that I posted yesterday is: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_sH...it?usp=sharing. I have no idea why I'm receiving the compile error.

Sub Analysis()

Dim r As Long

ActiveCell.Offset(-5, 1).Select
ActiveCell.Value = "Total Sales"
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=OFFSET(R[9]C[-6],-4,0,1,1)"
ActiveCell.Offset(1, -1).Select
ActiveCell.Value = "% Threshold"
ActiveCell.Value = Range("BK4")
ActiveCell.Value = ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1) * ActiveCell.Offset(-1, -1)
ActiveCell.Offset(1, -2).Select
ActiveCell.Value = "Exact?"
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[1]>0,""YES"",""NO"")"
With ActiveCell
r = .Offset(2, -3).End(xlUp).Row
.FormulaR1C1 = "=COUNTIF(R" & r & "C[-3]:R[2]C[-3],""=""&R[-1]C)"
End With
ActiveCell.Offset(1, -2).Select
ActiveCell.Value = "# Of Styles"
With ActiveCell
x = .Offset(1, -2).End(xlUp).Row
.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(R[-1]C[1]" > "0,COUNTIF(R" & x & "C[-2]:R[1]C[-2],"" <= ""&R[-2]C[1]),IF(R[-1]C[1]" = "0,COUNTIF(R" & x & "C[-2]:R[1]C[-2],""<=""&R[-2]C[1])+1))"
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back