Cell references: Why are cells in Excel referenced by Column/Row instead of Row/Column?

mrblister

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Example 2x2 matrix:
AntBun
CatDog

When referencing a specific element in a 2D matrix, I believe the standard is to refer to an element by row then column. So for example, (1,2) above is "Bun".
However, in Excel's default configuration (A1 Notation), it's column then row (with column in letters). So for example, the index for "Bun" would be "B1" (instead of "1B").

One would think that the two would follow the same convention to avoid confusion? Or am I missing something? Can someone explain why it's like this?
(edited for clarity)

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
This probably goes all the way back to Visicalc, the first commercially successful spreadsheet software, then Lotus 1-2-3, then Excel. Actually it may even go back to the ancestors of Visicalc, but I don't know how they worked.

A spreadsheet grid is not a mathematical matrix, nor a Cartesian plane, so there is no reason it would use the same notation.

It makes sense to use letters for columns, because for the majority of users it will be confusing to use numbers for both, and typically users set up tables with a relatively small number of columns but potentially large numbers of rows.

There may be an implementation reason why it's easier to parse A1 vs. 1A but only the developers could answer that.

For this type of "why" question, it is nearly impossible to get an authoritative answer because the people who made this decision aren't talking.

Upvote 0
A spreadsheet grid is not a mathematical matrix, nor a Cartesian plane, so there is no reason it would use the same notation.
Thanks for the in-depth answer! It does give some insight. In reference to your line above, it's true that a spreadsheet table isn't a matrix, but I do feel they are similar enough to follow similar standards.
It also just occurred to me that the INDEX function returns elements using the row-then-column format. Which for me, further confuses the issue. Anyway I'm just ranting at this point because this really irritates my OCD lol.
Anyway, thanks again for the insight.

Upvote 0
You could always use R1C1 notation if it bothers you that much? ;)

Upvote 0
The OFFSET method also uses (rows, columns). Also, in VBA the methods that require row and column use the (row, column) notation, like Cells.

But as to the origins, you'll have to talk to someone who was around in 1979 when Visicalc was released. They're all at least in their 70s now, the ones who are still around.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back