Cell referencing not working all of a sudden

mike21mcd

Board Regular
Hi,
I have a spreadsheet with multiple worksheets. I import data from another application into "Worksheet A". I then use "Worksheet B" to reference about 20 cells in "WS A" so that I can have the data in the format that I need. My "Worksheet B" references are simply ='Worksheet A'!B23 for example....certainly nothing fancy. However, when I import new data into Worksheet A, Worksheet B does not pick up the new data.....it simply reads with the old data.

For an experiment, I tried referencing a cell in Worksheet A to Worksheet A (i.e. referenced D5 to equal B5) and when I changed the data in B5, D5 would not change.

Does anyone know what is going on with the referencing? Why would it automatically stop doing it, did I hit something without knowing it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Is calculation set to manual? (Tools --> Options --> Calculation)

Upvote 0
Oaktree - I switched to Automatic and it seems to be working now. Thanks again for you help (please let me know if it is more than that). Very much appreciated.

Upvote 0
If you click in the cell with your formula and press return, does it update with the current values?

EDIT: If calculation is switched to manual, the formulas will only recalculate (and thus update) if F9 is pressed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back