Cell shading not going away

RamyJo

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a question about cell shading. I have just started recently using cell shading more than normal and I've encountered a issue with a work spreadsheet that I can't figure out which option to change to make it go away. The spreadsheet that I'm working with has 20 columns and they are each shaded a different color. When I cut and paste data from one cell to another the original shading color stays the same which is fine but the original cell that I cut from stays shaded as well. I want the cut cell to go back to being blank afterwards (see screenshot below). Thanks in advance for any and all help!

~Ramy Jo

1668366695087.png

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Are you cutting or copying ?
Is the shading by conditional formatting ?
Are the ceclls merged ?

Upvote 0
Hi Michael,

I have tried both cutting and copying but same issue both ways. The cells aren't merged and no conditional formatting. Since I wasn't the one that originally made the spreadsheet, I think I'm going to start a new one and enter all the data myself so that maybe I won't have this issue there.

Upvote 0
Can you upload the workbook to a hosting sites, Dropbox for instance, I can't replicate your problem

Upvote 0
I think I may have figured it out,. I had to add a few new columns to the spreadsheet this afternoon so I decided to format them differently to see where issue with cut and paste may be coming from. So for column M I clicked on the top of the column and then clicked my fill color (that way the entire column was shaded). Then for column N I clicked on the first cell with data in it and then move my mouse down to the last cell in that column with data and then I shaded just those cells. I found out that if you shade the entire column that when you cut or copy the cell and paste it somewhere else then the original shading stays but if you only shaded the cells with data then if you cut and paste the original cell was go back to its original state with no data or formatting of any kind. But if you copy and paste then the original cell will stay shaded.

Upvote 0
That's correct...Entire column will maintain whatever formats are put in place...(y):cool:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxpro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back