Cell text doesn't truncate when hits a "filled" cell

Jac

I want my title (in the first cell, say A1) to show all contents instead of truncating once it hits its neighbour A2 with a space in it. Is this possible? I need something in the neighbouring cells to trigger conditional formatting, but this can be a zero or a space. I am not hopeful but does anyone know any ways around this? Text boxes etc? Regards...

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi fellow Melbournite,

Sorry, just trying to get a handle on why the text is truncating could you elaborate a little more.

Regards,

DBA

Upvote 0
It's because the next cell along has something in it, and as I don't have format set to "wrap", any part of my text which overlaps the next cell is hidden "behind" the cell. Clearer? Hmm probably not. Thunderclouds over my part of Melbourne so static must be affecting my brain!

Upvote 0
JAC,

Are any of the following possible? -

a)Format the cell to Wrap.
b) Delete the value (space or "0") in the offending cell.
c)Merge the title cell with the offending cell.

Cloudy here too but no rain as yet.

Regards,

DBA

Upvote 0
No, that's my problem. I need something in the next cell in order to force conditional formatting, yet I want it to have the appearance of having nothing in it. Oh well back to some of my many other knotty problems! Being Friday afternoon means it doesn't seem so bad ... :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Can you put the cell that forces the conditional formatting somewhere else?

Upvote 0
No as I am forcing that particular cell to become coloured, depending on whether a cell no another sheet has a value in it or not. But although I wanted its colour to be specified, I wanted the text of the cell in front of it to overrun it. Hmm more details. I have weeks in my columns, and if something runs for 3 weeks I want the 3 corresponding cells to be coloured, but I want the title (in the first of the three cells) to run over the other 2 cells. So for example cell C1 can be coloured, and its text can be "School Holidays", and this text can flow over onto the other 2 coloured cells. Like a gantt chart but with text I guess...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back