Cell turns ####### when time turns negative

Flopem123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I'm trying to calculate a number of cells, which all have a time in them.
Contracted37:00:00
Hours Worked5:27
Credit from Previous Week3:25
Debit from Previous Week0:00
Total28:08
The time calculation is fine when the time is positive but as soon as the time goes below zero I get ######## in the total cell. I did find a formula (below) which worked for subtracting one time from another but as I have a third cell which needs to be included in the calculation I cant seem to get it to work. I have tried adjusting the formula but nothing seems to work.

=IF(R2-R3<0, "-" & TEXT(ABS(R2-R3),"hh:mm"), R2-R3)

Hope you can help

Thanks

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Try:

=IF(R2-SUM(R3:R5)<0, TEXT(SUM(R3:R5)-R2, "\-[hh]:mm"), R2-SUM(R3:R5))

formatted as Custom [hh]:mm and Horizontal Alignment right.

The square brackets around [hh] is recommended for any time calculation, just in case the result is 24 hours or more, as your example is.

But beware that the "negative" result is text, not a number. You cannot reference it directly in calculations in other cells. LMK if that might be a problem. There is a solution.

IMHO, resist any suggestion to set the 1904 Date System. Although that does allow for negative time as a number, it might screw up other things on PCs, especially in an existing workbook and when copy-and-pasting dates between workbooks.

Upvote 0
=IF(R2-SUM(R3:R5)<0, TEXT(SUM(R3:R5)-R2, "\-[hh]:mm"), R2-SUM(R3:R5))

I just noticed that R5 is labeled "debit", which might be added, not subtracted. So you might write:

=IF(SUM(R2,R5)-SUM(R3:R4)<0, TEXT(SUM(R3:R4)-SUM(R2,R5), "\-[hh]:mm"), SUM(R2,R5)-SUM(R3:R4))

Although you do not need to use the SUM function here, I use it to emphasize the "need" (best practice, IMHO) to collect terms to add and terms to subtract.

And of course, it would be ever simpler if SUM(R2,R5)-SUM(R3:R4) were calculated in a "helper" cell (possibly hidden).

Upvote 0
Hi Joe, The second formula worked great. Your correct I have a credit and a debit field and the debit it added rather than subtracted.

I have seen a number of posts regarding the 1904 option but was reluctant as this timesheet will be used by about 10 people.

Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back