cell won't change to correct date format

cstewart28

I have a column that I change to a short date format, but the contents of the cell do not change. Here are the steps I do:

1. I download some data from a web site, then I open it up in Excel 2016, it gives me some notification about opening files from the Internet. I save the files as xlsx.

2. I then reopen it and try and change the date format from 01/02/2018 to my regional setting on my computer which is yyyy-mm-dd, but it does change it.

3. I select format cell and it shows the correct format, but the cell is still displayed as 01/02/2018.

4. I have tried saving as csv then reopening it and still the same results. It shows as it if formatted properly.

Not sure how to fix this.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
custom format

date are whole numbers, formatting the cells is what controls what you see

Upvote 0
I have also tried to select the column, then change the format to custom to yyyy-mm-dd, but no change in data.

Upvote 0
Custom formats only work on entries that are entered as numbers (dates are actually formatted numbers in Excel).
If changing the format of a cell does not change what you see, that means that your entry is NOT a valid numeric/date entry, but rather a Text entry. Formatting does not work on Text entries.

One quick way to change this is to highlight the column, use Text To Columns, and switch it to the proper date option in Step 3.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back