Cells Acting Crazy....Cannot Clear Odd, Corrupted Formatting

centurymantra

I am working with an Excel document and discovered that a random section of the document has a large group of cells that are acting....crazy. When pasting into them the cells are alternating between yellow, green and yellow in color and display a filter box next to the cell when clicking in it. The filter box is greyed out and does not do anything. It only appears when actually selecting the cell. I can type into one of these cells and it clears the color but the "ghost" filter box persists. I've attached a picture displaying this behavior. I cannot clear, fill, insert cells, reformat, delete the row or do anything to change this.

Does anyone have some insight for me on this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2019-11-22_8-37-41.jpg
    2019-11-22_8-37-41.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Follow up....the document is inflicting this behavior on every cell of rows 120 -234 from column G to XFD. I have tried deleting the rows, but the new rows in their place exhibit the same behavior.

Upvote 0
Looks like you might have some Data Validation in those cells, possibly along with conditional formatting.

Upvote 0
Yeah...it was the conditional formatting. Should have thought of that, but the ghosted filter box was throwing my off. Clearing conditional formatting took care of the issue. The odd thing is that it is applying to a group of rows and I have never in my life applied conditional formatting to rows, let alone this document. I did not have to clear data validation, which has not been used on this document. Conditional formatting also removed the filter appearing on those cells.

Possibly a corrupted document?

Upvote 0
There if no way that CF would put those drop arrows (or clear them) on the cell, at least not that I know of.
I still suspect that you have DV on those cells, but I could easily be wrong.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back