Cells don't update. F2 fixes one by one

srburk

Board Regular
This is the second time I've experienced this. The first time was on a personal spreadsheet that I created to track my electric bill. Excel 2003.

This time, I'm at work (Excel 2000).

I have 10,000 lines of date in column A through L.

The data was dumped from an application at work.

The data dump had dates in the following format HH:MMAM or HH:MMPM. I used =left(A1,4) to obtain the hour and minutes; =right(A1,2) to obtain the AM or PM; and then I concatenated the two back together to include a space in between the two. (example - Went from 01:25PM to 01:25 PM).

I formated the time column into a time format (after concatenation and copy/paste value to remove concatenation. This changed it from TEXT to TIME.

PROBLEM - It still looks the same. I decided to format the entire column to a different time format display (switched from 1:30 PM to 13:30:00). NOTHING HAPPENED; however, when I hit F2 in each field, it corrects its display.

This is not limited to the TIME format. Whereever there is a formula. If I change the values that the formula uses, nothing updates until I hit F2 in the actual formula field.

Any ideas??? :eek:

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Why not use the TIME or TIMEVALUE worksheet function to create true time values?

Upvote 0
What happens when you press F9?

If this re-calculates, then maybe you have calculations set on manual.

Go to Tools|Options and Calculation tab and select Automatic in the top area.

Upvote 0
Have you got Calculation set to Manual (Tools|Options|Calculation tab)? If so you need to press F9 for your formulas to update after a copy/paste. The Status Bar will show Calculate when you need to.

Upvote 0
NBVC said:
What happens when you press F9?

If this re-calculates, then maybe you have calculations set on manual.

Go to Tools|Options and Calculation tab and select Automatic in the top area.

It is already set to automatic

Upvote 0
The reason is that concatenation returns a string. Changing the format of the cell from Text to Time won't change what's in the cell - it's still a string. But pressing F2 Enter after changing the format is equivalent to re-entering what's there and it's converted to a number because of the format.

To get a ral time with concatenation try eg:

=(LEFT(A1,5)&" "&RIGHT(A1,2))+0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back