Cells keep insisitng on showing as dates

therock003

Board Regular
I have set a table to store some data and in one column i store proeuct codes. Weirdly enough the formar code is XX-XX-XX where xx is a number from 00-99. As you can imagine some get recognised as dates by excel. For example 35-42-67 is not an acceptable input for date, but lets say an item had the product code of 10-10-03 which coincidentally is the date equivalent of 10 october of 2003. I have of course gone to cell formatring and turn this entire column to text input or other formata but still the exclamation pops up that its a suspicious entry and thus when i sort this column everything gets messed up. Have you got any solutions for this

Try formatting the entire column as text (excel column, not just the table). I don't think it will make any difference with existing codes, but I did notice that if the cells below the table were formatted as 'general' then a new line added at the bottom was not entering correctly.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Tried that, also didnt work. Dont know man maybe its an excel bug. I'm on 2016 on Windows. I also tried on my android phone using excel mobile, and surprisingly it works fine over there...

Upvote 0
Something fishy is definitely going on. I even tried libre office and it works there fine. For some reason my version of excel is hung up on this

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back