Cells not calculating unless clicked on

superskid

Board Regular
I have a workbook that is not calculating cells unless I manually click on them.

Yes automatic calc is on, and I have tried the text to columns trick. I think it has something to do with timing of the value of a cell during recalc.

I have the following formula that works just fine: -PL(Variables!$B$18,Variables!$B$12,B$2-7,B$2-7,"i","i","i","i","i","i"))
This is a custom add in that basically pulls a number from my accounting software. Again above formula works, but as soon as I add a small if to it, it returns zero.

Here is the new formula: =IF(B14=0,0,-PL(Variables!$B$18,Variables!$B$12,B$2-7,B$2-7,"i","i","i","i","i","i"))
I want it to not pull form the accounting software if the cell 2 rows above it is zero; however, even if the cell isn't zero it still initially pulls zero. If I then click on the cell it works.

My GUESS is that the formulas all run at the same time so while the cell 2 rows above it are pulling numbers they are in fact zero the first time this formula is looking at that cell. Thoughts on a fix?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
It looks like your add in has some custom functions in it (like "PL"). When you create your own functions in VBA, they are not volatile by default. I am wondering if that it what is happening here.
See here for an explanation and demonstration: Volatile Functions in Excel VBA.

Upvote 0
This appears to be the case, if I change the value of B14 to anything other than zero it does calculate my If statement using -PL. This addon is supplied by our accounting software, if I go into VBA I don't see it anywhere. Is there a fix for me?

Attachments

• EXCEL_JJBKCBh5nJ.png
    EXCEL_JJBKCBh5nJ.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
This addon is supplied by our accounting software, if I go into VBA I don't see it anywhere. Is there a fix for me?
It is probaby locked down, so the creators would be the only ones able to edit it.

Upvote 0
OK, so I guess I can just create a macro that I run after it recalcs that quickly changes the cells I need changed and then changes them back?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back